Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Wifi, laptop and a bar

What happens when you go with your laptop computer to a bar with wireless network? Out of all the things that could have been, this one actually happened...

I got in and had a beer. The place is almost empty. In one corner there is a group of people playing some awesome Celtic tunes. A drum, a banjo, a guitar and a violin. Four guys in a table, playing their music and having some beer, like anybody else in the place. After a couple of tunes a girl joins with her violin. They play together another tune. At the end of it, the four guys introduce each other to the new member of the band! Few minutes later a new guitarist joins the group of musicians. The melodies are beautiful. The music transported my imagination to an old english tavern full of pirates!

I was not able to resist the desire to share what I was witnessing. So, I took my laptop out of my backpack and connected to the local wireless network. I knew that my girlfriend was online in the chat. I told her to open Skype and to just listen. I explained to her via chat where I was and what was going on. Now we both were chatting and listening the same music, being more than a thousand miles apart! To preserve the moment, I grabbed my digital camera and recorded a small video clip of the superb performance. And then... why not! I can use the computer to record a few tunes! And so I did. For the mono input of a laptop microphone, the quality was not bad. It is enough to recall my the memories of that night (no commercial use is intended!).

After about half and hour of electronic sharing, each of us continued with our own local activities. And while I kept listening to the music and drinking my beer, I thought about the ways in which technology helps to keep people in touch...

What a glimpse... we are living amazing times!
Post a Comment